Saturday, September 06, 2008

Rebels Free 3 Hostages In Mindanao

DAVAO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / September 6, 2008) – Communist rebels freed two policemen they abducted in the southern Philippines after their families appealed for their safe release, officials said Saturday.

Officials said the New People’s Army released the two policemen in Compostela Valley province in Mindanao. A third hostage, Habilio Delos Reyes, a civilian who had been mistaken as a police officer, was also freed unharmed by the rebels.

The three were freed to government officials in the town of Monkayo led by Vice Mayor Avelino Cabag and Rep. Manuel Zamora. Cabag said the freed hostages were being debriefed and appeared to be in good health.

The NPA seized the police officers at a rebel checkpoint in the village of Ongoyon in Mount Diwata. Authorities earlier identified the abducted officers as Jerry Realino and Hector Colaste.

Another policeman, Rogelio Etrata, who was also taken hostage, had been recovered earlier by security forces pursuing the rebels.

The three officers were assigned to guard the village where several gold mining firms are operating. Insurgents had in the past launch attacks on mining companies in the province. In July, insurgents raided a field office of the Philco Mining Corporation in the village of Camanlangan in New Bataan town also in Compostela Valley.

The NPA is the armed wing of the outlawed Communist Party of the Philippines and the National Democratic Front, which broke off peace talks with the Arroyo government in 2004 after accusing Manila of reneging on a deal that would have freed hundreds of political detainees in the country. (Romy Bwaga)

No comments: