MAGUINDANAO, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / May 01, 2009) – Four people were wounded after suspected Moro Islamic Liberation Front rebels fired a rocket on a convoy of four civilian trucks in the southern Philippines, security officials said on Friday.
Officials said one of the trucks, owned by Jerry Lagas, was hit by an anti-tank rocket on a highway near the village of Macasampen in Guindulungan town in Maguindanao province.
The attack occurred before midnight Thursday, said Lt. Col. Jonathan Ponce, a spokesman for the Army’s 6th Infantry Division.
The trucks, he said, came from Zamboanga Sibugay province to deliver charcoal in the province. No group claimed responsibility for the ambush, but the military blamed the MILF for rocket attack.
“The wounded civilians were rushed to the hospital. The attackers thought the trucks were military convoy. It was the MILF,” he told the Mindanao Examiner.
The military identified the wounded as Ricky Fuertes, Norman Atamosa, Ronnie Barriga and Jone Labrador.
On Wednesday, troops recovered two M203 grenade launchers and MILF documents at an abandoned thatched house in the village of Muslim in Guindulungan town, he said.
The MILF is the country’s largest Muslim rebel group fighting for self-determination in Mindanao. Peace talks between the MILF and the Arroyo government collapsed last year after the failed signing of a Muslim homeland deal. (Mindanao Examiner)