Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Philippine soldiers wounded in Sayyaf attack

An unidentified policeman in Sulu province reads the Mindanao Examiner newspaper whose headline links a Singaporean terror man, Mauiya, to the al-Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group which operates in the southern Philippines. The Abu Sayyaf was blamed to Tuesday’s landmine explosion in Basilan province that left three soldiers wounded, says a regional military spokeswoman, Army First Lieutenant Steffani Cacho.

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Mar. 2, 2010) – Three government soldiers were wounded in a landmine explosion Tuesday in the troubled province of Basilan, just several kilometers south of Zamboanga City in the southern Philippines, officials told the Mindanao Examiner.

“The soldiers, all members of the 4th Scout Ranger Company, were patrolling when the explosion occurred. The Abu Sayyaf was behind the blast,” said Army First Lieutenant Steffani Cacho, a spokeswoman for the Western Mindanao Command.

She said the soldiers were evacuated to a military hospital in Zamboanga City and that security forces were tracking down the Abu Sayyaf in Sumisip town where the explosion occurred at around 7:40 a.m.

Police said fighting was also reported in the village of Baiwas in Maluso town, but there were no immediate reports of casualties.

Last week, more than a dozen people were killed after Abu Sayyaf and Moro rebels attacked a small village in Maluso town. Ten villagers were also injured in the raid.

Authorities linked the Abu Sayyaf to the al-Qaeda terror network and to the Indonesian militant Jemaah Islamiya and were behind the spate of attacks on civilian and military targets and kidnappings for ransom in the southern Philippines. (Mindanao Examiner)

No comments: