Police said the ransom was relayed by the family of Kenn Lao. Police said it formed a group that would search for the 21-year old victim who is allegedly being held by the Abu Sayyaf after being captured October outside the Notre Dame College in Jolo.
The search for Lao is still continuing, but police and military officials would not give details or progress of the rescue efforts. “I don’t want to talk about the kidnapping, but there are efforts to find him,” General Benjamin Dolorfino, a regional military commander, told reporters.
Police also mounted a search for Lao, but the hostage is believed being transferred from one hideout to another to avoid detection by the authorities.
Lao’s family told police that a man phoned them last week to say that they are holding Lao, who was lured out of his school by a friend whom he was texting and then snatched by armed men. (Mindanao Examiner)
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Oct. 13, 2010) – Suspected Abu Sayyaf rebels have demanded 3 million pesos for the safe release of a kidnapped Filipino student in the southern Philippine town of Jolo, police said Wednesday.