MANILA, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Jan. 25, 2011) – At least four people were killed and more than a dozen other wounded in a powerful bomb explosion Tuesday in the Philippine financial district of Makati City, police said.
Police finally confirmed that a bomb had exploded in the bus at around 2 p.m. The bus was carrying more than 30 passengers when the explosion occurred tearing a hole on the floor.
Initially police report said two passengers were killed and at least 15 people wounded in the blast.
Director Nicanor Bartolome, commander of metropolitan police force, said the death toll has risen to four and that 14 others were wounded. He also confirmed that the blast was caused by an improvised explosive device planted underneath a seat in the middle of the bus.
“It was an IED, an improvised explosive device. Four passengers were killed and 14 more are wounded,” Bartolome said.
Makati City Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay Jr said the amount of destruction caused by the explosion pointed to a bomb. Binay, who inspected the area, said he saw body parts inside the bus and a dying passenger gasping for breath. He said the explosion occurred near Buendia Avenue.
No group has claimed responsibility for the blast, but a local militant group Abu Sayyaf and the Indonesian Jemaah Islamiya had previously bombed civilian targets in Manila. (Mindanao Examiner)