COTABATO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Jan/ 9, 2011) – Unidentified gunmen seized Filipino-Chinese hardware store owner in the restive region of Mindanao in the southern Philippines, officials said Sunday.
Officials said the 56-year old Eulogio Lim Yu was snatched late Saturday in Cotabato City.
“No group or individual claimed responsibility for the abduction, but security forces have mounted a search and rescue operation,” said Army Major Marlowe Patria, a spokesman for the 6th Infantry Division.
He said Yu was outside the hotel when he was snatched by gunmen and that a security also fired at the abductors.
“We have alerted our forces and we have been working closely with the police to recover the victim,” Patria said.
Previous kidnappings in Cotabato and nearby areas had been largely blamed to Moro rebels and the Pentagon Gang. (Mindanao Examiner)