ISABELA CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Mar. 2, 2011) – At least 180 people had been infected with diarrhea in the southern Philippine province of Basilan, health officials said on Wednesday.
Officials said there were no reports of casualties and that they suspect contaminated water as the source of the disease. “The condition is widespread and we have noticed in our validation that many of the victims are not only from Isabela City, but from other towns as well,” said Dr Rafael Cabug, the local chief health officer.
He said continued rains may have contributed largely to the contamination of water sources in Isabela City. “Mud and dirt may have sipped through the water distribution pipes and this could be the cause of the contamination,” Cabug said.
He said most of those who were admitted to hospitals suffered from loose bowel movements. (Mindanao Examiner)