DAVAO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Mar. 23, 2011) – Two government soldiers were killed and two others wounded in an ambush Wednesday by communist rebels in the southern Philippines, officials told the Mindanao Examiner.
Officials said New People’s Army rebels detonated a landmine in the village of Santa Cruz in Davao del Sur’s Sibulan town where troops were conducting an outreach program.
“These criminal acts by the New People’s Army are desperate moves in preventing the delivery of developmental programs of the government. This group showed their real criminal motives and we condemn their continued use of landmines,” said Lieutenant Colonel Lyndon Paniza, the spokesman for the Army’s 10th Infantry Division.
Paniza did not give details of the attack except that rebels detonated an anti-personnel landmine that targeted soldiers involved in peace and development projects in the town.
The rebels, who are fighting for decades for the establishment of a Maoist state in the country, have previously accused the military of using peace and development programs as a cover for its anti-insurgency campaign. (Mindanao Examiner)