Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Shane Mosley: 'Give me Pacquiao or give me retirement benefits'

Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao and his wife Jinky during his 31st birthday party December 17, 2009 in General Santos City in the southern Philippines. (Mindanao Examiner Photo - Mark Navales)


FIGHTING Manny Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KOs) is the ultimate goal of Sugar Shane Mosley before he concludes his fistic career that romped off 18 years ago with a 5th round knockout win over Greg Puente on February 11, 1993 in Hollywood, California.
"My ultimate goal is to fight (Manny) Pacquiao before I retire," declared the 39-year-old veteran of 53 professional fights (46 wins, six losses, one draw with 39 disposals).
After disposing of Antonio Margarito in the 9th round last January 24, 2009, Mosley, who is three inches taller than Pacquiao, announced,"Give me Pacquiao or give me my retirement benefits."
Golden Boy, his former promoter, gave him Floyd Mayweather Jr. and on May 1, 2010 the duo created ripples in the ring with a see-saw duel that resulted in Mosley's sixth defeat via 12-round unanimous decision.

JUMP SHIP

After securing a 12-round split draw against Sergio Mora in Los Angeles, California on September 18, 2010, Mosley, who boasts of 72.22 knockout percentage, decided to jump ship and landed on the lap of Bob Arum's Top Rank.
He finally secured the imprimatur to challenge the 32-year-old Filipino lefty who is fresh from a 12-round unanimous decision win against Margarito in Arlington, Texas.
On May 7, Mosley, who first hit paydirt by dethroning IBF lightweight champion Philip Holiday by 12-round unanimous decision on August 2, 1997, vowed to make history when he goes for this fourth world title against the heavily favored Pacquiao for the WBO 147-lb bauble at the MGM Grand.
An 8-1 underdog, the world lightweight-turn-world welterweight champion, quipped: “People see my power and they know it will be an exciting fight. When opponents get past the power they think they can win. The fans choose to see knockouts."

RISKY FIGHT

"This fight is very risky for Pacquiao to fight someone with power in both hands like myself. People want to see who’s going to get knocked out in this one. The unpredictability in the fight is what gets a rise out of people around the world, anything can happen.”
Mosley said, "I look at the Margarito fight and he landed the most punches ever on Pacquiao but Margarito couldn’t land those punches on me. If Margarito could hit Pacquiao, then I know that Pacquiao isn’t too fast for me.”

He said he never entertained negative comments from supporters of his opponents.
“They said Margarito was going to kill me. People said they were scared for my health and all that crap. I had about three different things going on in my life including the divorce. But I just listened to myself and came out with the victory,” he concluded. (Alex Vidal / PNS)

No comments: