Thursday, May 05, 2011

Two killed in new Philippine landslide

DAVAO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / May 4, 2011) - Two children were killed in a landslide on Wednesday in the southern Filipino province of Davao del Sur, military officials said.

Officials said heavy rains triggered the landslide in the village called Coronon in Santa Cruz town. The children, 1 and 9, were killed after their house was hit by a boulder, said Major Rosa Maria Cristina Manuel, an army spokeswoman.

"Military and police rescuers were dispatched to the area and recovered the bodies of the children," she said.

Last month, a landslide in Compostela Valley's Pantukan town also killed over a dozen people, mostly gold miners. Most of those killed were buried alive. (Mindanao Examiner)

No comments: