Wednesday, July 20, 2011

2 killed in WW2 bomb explosion in the Philippines

A World War II bomb. (

DAVAO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / July 20, 2011) – Two people were killed and another was injured when a vintage bomb they were tinkering on Wednesday exploded in the southern Philippine city of Davao, police said.

Police identified those killed as Diosdado Maglasang, 49, and Ladislao Mayao, 49; and the wounded as Pablito Mayormita, 44.

“The trio was tinkering with the bomb when it exploded and killing one on the spot and the other died on the way to hospital. It was World War II bomb, probably dropped from an airplane,” Police Officer 3 Julieto dela Cruz, of the Buhangin police station, told the regional newspaper Mindanao Examiner.

He said the explosion occurred at a banana plantation called Lapanday Mandug in the village of Buhangin.

It was not immediately known how the men got hold of the vintage bomb, but the area where it was discovered had been a battled zone between American and Japanese forces during the war.

Police warned the public not to dispose or tinker even with vintage bombs because they are still considered dangerous.
(Mindanao Examiner)

No comments: