Sunday, July 24, 2011

Troops capture Sayyaf man in the Philippines

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / July 24, 2011) – A notorious Abu Sayyaf militant accused of taking part in a mass kidnapping a decade ago was captured in the southern Philippine province of Basilan, the military said Sunday.

It said Kanih Milikivo was captured by soldiers over the weekend on a village in the town called Sumisip.

The militant was said to have participated in a raid on Dr. Jose Torres Memorial Hospital in June 2010 where the Abu Sayyaf seized dozens of hostages and used them as shield against pursuing security forces.

Kanih is facing a string of criminal cases from murder to kidnappings to illegal detention in the restive province just several nautical miles across Zamboanga City.

The militant is being investigated by army interrogators and would be handed over to the police in the province. It was unknown how the military tracked down the militant, but the Abu Sayyaf is still holding a kidnapped restaurant owner Larry delos Santos since December last year. (Mindanao Examiner)

No comments: