Monday, August 08, 2011

Wild mushrooms down 6 people in Mindanao

GENERAL SANTOS, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Aug. 8, 2011) – Six people, including a two-year old child, were rushed to hospital after consuming wild mushrooms in General Santos City in the southern Philippines.

Doctors were examining the child and the others they complained of severe stomach pain. The unknown variety of fungi, which grew outside their house, was harvested by the family and cooked for food thinking the mushrooms were edible.

There are thousands of species of mushrooms and many of them contain toxins and other compounds that are dangerous to humans when eaten. The Department of Health previously warned the public on the gathering of wild mushrooms because of its poisonous compounds.

It was not immediately known what kind of mushrooms the victims had eaten. (Mindanao Examiner)

No comments: