Saturday, February 25, 2006

From Zamboanga With Love!



We ran across this blog and were touched by the story of Josephine. We are republishing the entry and those who may have information about her whereabouts, please email us so we can give her some school things. (ed. Zamboanga Journal)


My Mail Box by Jayred of Switzerland
AN ONLINE PEEK INTO MY SWISS MAIL BOX.

Friday, December 09, 2005

A 'love letter' from Zamboanga City, Philippines arrived in my Swiss mail box today -- after two and a half years. The sender, Josephine, is a poverty-stricken Filipino girl whom I met at a social service center during a medical missions trip to Mindanao in July 2002.

She became attached to me throughout my challenging editorial assignment in Zamboanga City. Josephine, who was 14 at that time, sent the long letter -- peppered with "I love you's" and cries for financial help -- to my company address in May 2003.

Alas, I was already in Switzerland at that time, and the security guard of my former office didn't know how to forward it to me. Thank goodness, a well-meaning artist-friend who was a former officemate, discovered it by chance and sent it to me last week (she meant to send it two years ago, but forgot about it due to her very hectic schedule).

Needless to say, the letter caused me pain beyond human understanding. It reminded me anew that millions of my countrymen are caught in a quagmire of poverty, and are struggling to have even the basics (food, clothing, and shelter).

In the outdated letter, Josephine asked me for "things" -- that is, shoes, notebooks, textbooks, and school uniform for her and her two siblings. The deadline she set was June 9, 2003, the last day of enrolment.

Her parting words in Filipino/Tagalog reads: "My future is in your hands."posted by Jayred at 12/09/2005 09:44:00 PM

Comments:Zamboanga Journal said... We read your blog about Josephine, may we know her address and maybe we can find a way here how to help her. Thanks, ed.Zamboanga Journal http://zamboangajournal.blogspot.com

January 09, 2006 11:03 AM

Jayred said... Thanks for leaving a comment here. It was a pleasant surprise to know that someone from Zamboanga City is willing to help Josephine.Her address is the one she wrote down on the envelope (please see image). Other than that, I don't know the exact address. She used to stay at the DSWD center in Zamboanga City. I do hope you can help her. All the best and more power to you and your team. Thanks for the visit! January 18, 2006 1:32 PM


Jayred Email
My Web Page

No comments: