DAVAO CITY (Mindanao Examiner / 05 Jul) – Authorities on Thursday launched an investigation into the murder of a police official in the southern Philippine city of Davao.
Two gunmen shot Senior Inspector Godofredo Guiritan in front of a pharmacy in the downtown Davao at around 2.30 p.m. on Wednesday.
Guiritan was the chief of police of Alegria town in Surigao del Norte province. The police official died instantly from fatal shots in the head.
Chief Superintendent Andres Caro, the regional police chief, said he ordered the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) to investigate the killing.
Guiritan was in Davao City to attend a court hearing of an administrative case he filed against another police official who allegedly mauled him in 2004.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack, but extra-judicial killings is rampant in Davao City.
Last week, two civilians were murdered in separate attacks in the city, where summary killings, allegedly perpetrated by vigilantes and security forces, are a common occurrence. Hundreds of mostly criminal suspects have been killed the past years in Davao City. (Romy Bwaga)
Showing posts with label Killing. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Killing. Show all posts
Thursday, July 05, 2007
Monday, November 27, 2006
Killing Of Muslim Girl Sparks Fire Fight In South RP
MAGUINDANAO (Juan Magtanggol / 27 Nov) – Moro Islamic Liberation Front soldiers clashed with government forces after a militia commander allegedly attacked three people, killing a six-year old girl in the southern Philippines, a rebel spokesman said Monday.
Eid Kabalu said the fighting broke out late Sunday in the farming village of Dapiawan in Datu Piang town, where government militias earlier attacked a Muslim woman, Faiza Adam, and her six-year old daughter. “The girl was instantly killed,” he told the Mindanao Examiner.
Prior to the attack, militias also ambushed a rebel leader, Ibrahim Kanapia, wounding his baby, in the neighboring village of Matia. “The attacks were obviously planned and these triggered the fighting,” Kabalu said, adding, Kanapia and Adam are relatives.
He said Kanapia’s group attacked the militias under Taib Munca and torched their detachment in Dapiawan village in retaliation to the killing. He said the fighting may have been triggered by clan war between militias and rebels.
The Army’s 6th Infantry Division said five people were wounded in the rebel attack and they also burned and ransacked more than a dozen houses owned by farmers in the village.
It protested the MILF raid on the village, saying, it was a violation of the six-year old truce between the government and the rebel group. “The attack is a violation of the cease-fire agreement. We have submitted to the government peace panel our reports about this incident,” an army spokesman Lt. Col. Julieto Ando said in a separate interview.
He said the Malaysia-led truce observers should investigate the rebel attack.
Manila opened up peace talks in 2001 with the MILF, the largest Muslim rebel group fighting for independence in the southern Philippines.
Malaysia is brokering peace talks between the Filipino government and the MILF, but negotiations ended in September in Kuala Lumpur with both sides failing to sign any agreement on the most contentious issue -- ancestral domain -- which refers to the rebel demand for territory that will constitute a Muslim homeland.
It is the single most important issue in the peace negotiations before the rebel group can reach a political settlement.
Government peace negotiators previously offered the MILF the Muslim autonomous region, which is composed of Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi which are among the poorest in the country torn by strife and clan wars since its creation in 1989.
The ancestral domain covers the whole of Muslim autonomous region and other areas in Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay, North Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat and Sarangani provinces where there are large communities of Muslims and indigenous tribes. And even Palawan Island in central Philippines.
Peace talks between the government and MILF started in January 1997 but the absence of a neutral third party bogged down the initiative. It was only on March 24, 2001, after the all-out war against the MILF declared by former President Joseph Estrada that Malaysia, at the behest of the Philippine government, facilitated the talks.
However, in February 2003, despite the avowed all-peace policy of President Arroyo, an all-out war was again declared against the rebels, but both sides later agreed to resume peace talks. Just this year, President Arroyo said that 80% of the peace talks have been completed and that permanent peace in Mindanao is within reach. (Mindanao Examiner)
Eid Kabalu said the fighting broke out late Sunday in the farming village of Dapiawan in Datu Piang town, where government militias earlier attacked a Muslim woman, Faiza Adam, and her six-year old daughter. “The girl was instantly killed,” he told the Mindanao Examiner.
Prior to the attack, militias also ambushed a rebel leader, Ibrahim Kanapia, wounding his baby, in the neighboring village of Matia. “The attacks were obviously planned and these triggered the fighting,” Kabalu said, adding, Kanapia and Adam are relatives.
He said Kanapia’s group attacked the militias under Taib Munca and torched their detachment in Dapiawan village in retaliation to the killing. He said the fighting may have been triggered by clan war between militias and rebels.
The Army’s 6th Infantry Division said five people were wounded in the rebel attack and they also burned and ransacked more than a dozen houses owned by farmers in the village.
It protested the MILF raid on the village, saying, it was a violation of the six-year old truce between the government and the rebel group. “The attack is a violation of the cease-fire agreement. We have submitted to the government peace panel our reports about this incident,” an army spokesman Lt. Col. Julieto Ando said in a separate interview.
He said the Malaysia-led truce observers should investigate the rebel attack.
Manila opened up peace talks in 2001 with the MILF, the largest Muslim rebel group fighting for independence in the southern Philippines.
Malaysia is brokering peace talks between the Filipino government and the MILF, but negotiations ended in September in Kuala Lumpur with both sides failing to sign any agreement on the most contentious issue -- ancestral domain -- which refers to the rebel demand for territory that will constitute a Muslim homeland.
It is the single most important issue in the peace negotiations before the rebel group can reach a political settlement.
Government peace negotiators previously offered the MILF the Muslim autonomous region, which is composed of Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi which are among the poorest in the country torn by strife and clan wars since its creation in 1989.
The ancestral domain covers the whole of Muslim autonomous region and other areas in Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay, North Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat and Sarangani provinces where there are large communities of Muslims and indigenous tribes. And even Palawan Island in central Philippines.
Peace talks between the government and MILF started in January 1997 but the absence of a neutral third party bogged down the initiative. It was only on March 24, 2001, after the all-out war against the MILF declared by former President Joseph Estrada that Malaysia, at the behest of the Philippine government, facilitated the talks.
However, in February 2003, despite the avowed all-peace policy of President Arroyo, an all-out war was again declared against the rebels, but both sides later agreed to resume peace talks. Just this year, President Arroyo said that 80% of the peace talks have been completed and that permanent peace in Mindanao is within reach. (Mindanao Examiner)
Labels:
Clan War,
Datu Piang,
Killing,
Maguindanao,
MILF,
Muslim
Friday, October 27, 2006
Soldier Killed In Zamboanga Ambush
ZAMBOANGA CITY (Mindanao Examiner / 27 Oct) – A government soldier was killed in an ambush Friday in Zamboanga City in the southern Philippines, police said.
Police the soldier was on motorcycle when he was shot at around 6 p.m. along Jaldon Road near downtown Zamboanga. He was killed instantly.
One witness said he heard five gunshots. “I heard five gunshots. It's all I can say,” he told reporters at the scene.
Police investigators did not identify the soldier, but said he was shot in the head probably from a .45-caliber pistol. His firearm is missing.
No individual or group claimed responsibility for the latest killing, the second on Friday.An unidentified gunman also shot dead earlier Friday a Muslim man, Abdulgafar Udin, near the Zamboanga airport.
Police said the victim was an employee of the Air Transportation Office and on his way to work when shot in the chest 13 times.
Just Thursday, a Chinese trader identified only as Huang, was shot and killed in downtown Zamboanga City. Prior to the killing, two policemen were also shot dead in separate attacks in Zamboanga.
On Monday, a soldier and his civilian companion were also killed inside their apartment in Sta. Maria village, about 2 km from downtown area. More than 200 people had been killed in violent attacks and summary executions in Zamboanga City the past years. (Mindanao Examiner)
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Gunmen Kill Cop In Zamboanga City Ambush
ZAMBOANGA CITY (Mindanao Examiner / 19 Oct) – Three motorcycle gunmen killed a Muslim policeman in a daring broad daylight attack Wednesday in the southern Philippine port city of Zamboanga, police said.
The policeman, Zacaria Ahmad, was on his way home when shot by the gunmen at close range.
No individual or group claimed responsibility for the killing and the police said it is still investigating the motive of the attack.
More than 200 people had been killed in a series of gun attacks and summary execution in Zamboanga City the past four years. (Mindanao Examiner)
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)