COTABATO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / June 4, 2009) – Suspected Moro rebels bombed two power pylons in the southern Philippines, cutting electricity in some of parts of Mindanao, the military said Thursday.
It said Moro Islamic Liberation Front rebels were behind the attacks late Wednesday in Sarangani province. There was no immediate statement from the MILF, the country’s largest Muslim rebel group fighting for independence in the troubled region.
The military previously tagged the MILF in similar attacks in recent years.
Peace talks between the MILF and Manila collapsed last year after the government reneged on a deal that would have granted some four million Muslims a separate homeland across more than 700 areas in Mindanao.
The Supreme Court said the deal was unconstitutional. (Mindanao Examiner)