ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / July 24, 2009) – Four gunmen, believed to be military agents, seized a Muslim villager in the southern Filipino port city of Zamboanga, his family and witnesses said Friday.
The gunmen also threatened a policeman who tried to stop them from taking Maulager Abal near his house in the village of san Roque on Thursday. One witness said the gunmen introduced themselves as police officers and took the 22-year man, who drives a pedicab for living.
“Four men armed with .45-caliber pistols took Abal. They also threatened me and my father as they ordered Abal into the van. Abal’s relatives tried to rescue him, but they too, were threatened by the men,” she said.
Abal's mother said her son was a law-abiding citizen.
Neighbors said they suspect the armed men were military agents, but a regional military commander, Major General Benjamin Dolorfino, denied soldiers were involved in the abduction.
Police released a sketch of one of the suspects based on the testimonies of the witnesses. It had previously linked military agents in the arrest of suspected rebels in Zamboanga City. (Mindanao Examiner)