DAVAO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Apr. 26, 2011) – Five more bodies were recovered on Tuesday on a mountain village hit by landslide in the southern Philippines and raising the death toll to 10, officials said.
Officials said four of the cadavers have already been identified and that authorities have contacted the families and relatives of those still missing in the landslide that occurred in the town of Pantukan in Compostela Valley province last week.
At least 11 people are still unaccounted for in the mining community of Panganason where the mud and boulders loosened by heavy rains buried more than a dozen houses at the foot of the mountain.
“Retrieval operation is going. A total of 13 bodies have been recovered so far,” said Major Rose Maria Cristina Manuel, an army spokeswoman.
Manuel said 13 people had been rescued since Friday.
The military had earlier said that as many as 50 people were missing from the tragedy that struck at dawn. Environment officials have ordered villagers to evacuate from the area for fear that another landslide could occur after cracks in the ground were discovered this week.(Mindanao Examiner)