Friday, August 12, 2011
KIDAPAWAN CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Aug. 12, 2011) – Two people had been killed after the bomb they were carrying exploded before dawn Friday in the southern Philippines, authorities said.
It said the two men were carrying the bomb in Kidapawan City when it detonated prematurely. Authorities identified the dead men as Malampan Manalim and Kaleem Indigay, but their motive was not immediately established.
There were reports that the two were members of the former rebel group Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) which is opposed to government peace talks with the breakaway Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), now the country’s largest Muslim rebel group fighting for self-determination.
It was unknown whether the two men were involved in the bombing recently in Cotabato City that killed one person and wounded nine others.
The MILF is currently negotiating peace with Manila and has been asking the government for a Muslim sub-state in Mindanao where there exists a separate regional Muslim autonomy.
The autonomy was granted to the MNLF after the signing of a peace agreement in 1996 with the government. The MNLF said there should be no other Muslim autonomy in Mindanao and is seeking wider areas in the restive-but mineral-rich region. (Mindanao Examiner)