DAVAO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / September 7, 2008) – At least 8 people were killed and dozens had been reported missing after a landslide buried houses on a mountain town called Maco in the southern Philippine province of Compostela Valley, military reports said on Sunday.
Soldiers were sent to the town to help rescuers search for survivors from Saturday’s landslide that destroyed at least two dozen houses in the village of Masara. Heavy rains the past days loosened mud and boulders that cascaded down the mountain slopes, trapping villagers inside their houses, the reports said.
Rescuers have pulled out at least eight bodies from under the debris and that more than a dozen people had survived from the landslide. More than 100 villagers had been evacuated to safety for fear that continues rain could trigger more mudslides in the area.
Male villagers, the reports said, had volunteered to help rescuers search for those who are still missing, but the lack of equipment was hampering the operations.
Many of those who were helping in the search were using only their bare hands to dig through debris, others used makeshift shovels. Maco is a known gold-rush area in the province, where small scale miners, put up thatched houses from near where they are digging for gold.
Authorities have previously banned miners from putting up houses and structures on mountain slopes because of the dangers posed by mudslides. Squatters have mushroomed in the area over the years despite similar incidents in the past. Ten people were also killed by landslide last year in the area. (With reports from Romy Bwaga and Juan Magtanggol)
Soldiers were sent to the town to help rescuers search for survivors from Saturday’s landslide that destroyed at least two dozen houses in the village of Masara. Heavy rains the past days loosened mud and boulders that cascaded down the mountain slopes, trapping villagers inside their houses, the reports said.
Rescuers have pulled out at least eight bodies from under the debris and that more than a dozen people had survived from the landslide. More than 100 villagers had been evacuated to safety for fear that continues rain could trigger more mudslides in the area.
Male villagers, the reports said, had volunteered to help rescuers search for those who are still missing, but the lack of equipment was hampering the operations.
Many of those who were helping in the search were using only their bare hands to dig through debris, others used makeshift shovels. Maco is a known gold-rush area in the province, where small scale miners, put up thatched houses from near where they are digging for gold.
Authorities have previously banned miners from putting up houses and structures on mountain slopes because of the dangers posed by mudslides. Squatters have mushroomed in the area over the years despite similar incidents in the past. Ten people were also killed by landslide last year in the area. (With reports from Romy Bwaga and Juan Magtanggol)
No comments:
Post a Comment